Axcelon Dermacare Inc.
Axcelon Dermacare Inc. is a majority owned subsidiary of Axcelon Biopolymers Corp. based in Toronto, Ontario, and focusing on developing advanced wouncare products and technologies.
Axcelon Dermacare lead product is NanodermTM, a unique woundcare product indicated for a variety of acute wound treatments including burns and dermabrasions as well as for chronic wounds such as venous leg ulcers, pressure ulcers and diabetic foot ulcers. Nanoderm™ has unique Health economic advantages over other competitive wound dressings with a one-time application dressing in most wound types. The product additionally provides a suitable barrier to infections while allowing gaseous exchange, some exudate evaporation and pain alleviation.
Axcelon has furthermore developed Nanoderm™Ag; a patented biopolymer wound care dressing with slow release silver for infected wounds. Nanoderm™Ag is planned to be launched in 2017.
What is bacterial cellulose?
Bacterial Nano-cellulose has distinct physico-chemical characteristics that make it unique amongst biomaterials. It is a safe material of non-animal origin that can absorb a large quantity of fluid while maintaining its shape and mechanical properties.
A New Standard in Woundcare
- Made from bacterial cellulose, NanodermTM, a microfibrillar biosynthetic cellulose film, is the one-time single application wound care product that simulates the skin’s natural defenses (fibrin) to help promote quicker wound healing.
- The pore size created by the microfibrils and ribbons of the paper-thin membrane trap platelets and initiate coagulation, bringing about both haemostasis and adherence to the wound surface.
- The greater absorptive capacity of the membrane and its porous nature allow for the dissipation of exudate while maintaining a moist wound interface.
- NanodermTM, acts as a regenerative tissue scaffold to affect fibroblast, endothelial and keratinocyte function, enhancing granulation tissue formation and epithelization.
- The tensile strength of the material allows it to remain in place for longer periods with little need for dressing change (1).